I love almost everything about Don’t Tell Mom the Babysitter’s Dead. “The dishes are done, man!” “I’m right on top of that, Rose!” Everything that happens at General Apparel West. The movie is so much better than it has any right to be. Hilarious, poignant, and a great star turn for Christina Applegate. Just a solid, entertaining flick all around. But is it perfect? No. Here are some lingering questions I have after having recently watched it for the umpteenth time. The lack of answers to these questions still bother me.
- Is there a General Apparel East? Why did GAW have a New York office?
- Why is Sue Ellen’s nickname “Swell?” Why does no one call her “Sue” or “SE”?
- Why did Bryan have all of that extra food in the back of his truck? Do delivery people normally carry around that many extra bags of food?
- What show was Walter trying to watch when he had to fix the satellite dish on the roof?
- Did people really think the fashion show at the end was….good? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLujkObJ3bk
- If the fashion show was for high school clothes, why did Sue Ellen design a nurse’s outfit?
- What exactly is the QED report? What was Sue Ellen supposed to do to/with it?
- Does GAW not have any kind of Human Resources department or basic background investigation, such that Sue Ellen could simply drop off a resume and be hired on the spot?
- Why did the mom go to Australia for two months? She really felt it was OK to leave the kids with a stranger for that whole time?
- How old was Kenny? Had he failed/repeated grades before?
- What was the deal with Carolyn and Bruce? What was Bruce’s job? And what was Gus’s job, besides sexually harassing every woman in GAW’s offices?
- How did Carolyn react when she found out that Sue Ellen is dating her brother?
- Has anyone else in history cared so much about grunion as Bryan?
- Where was the dad? The mom had five kids and a really nice house. Was there a divorce? Had he passed? Sounds like it was a bad ending:
Mom: Little League will still be there next year.
Melissa: So will Australia. I wish Dad were around.
Mom: No, you don’t.
If you have theories or answers to these questions, please leave them below in the comments!